Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Stereotypes Aren't Fair

People are stereotyped all of the time. Many children are raised with their parents teaching them some stereotypes. We hear things like black people are good at sports, or Asian people are good at math. However it’s not just a race issue. We also stereotype people because of gender, class, or where they come from. I try not to do this but subconsciously, I still do. For example, if I hear of someone who went to private school, I automatically think they are stuck up. Most of the stereotypes I have personally dealt with were people thinking I wasn't as smart as them because of my southern accent. However, I knew that I was just as capable of doing whatever anyone else could so I did not let it trouble me.
However, this year was different. I was stereotyped not because of the way I look or talk, but because of where I grew up. I am from a small, southern, conservative town. Because of this people assumed I was conservative which I am not. Normally, this would not be a problem for me but there were a few times it really bothered me. One day in my class we were discussing gay rights. We had to get in small groups and discuss our opinions. Before I could even say what I thought, someone in the group cut me off saying that my argument would probably be that the Bible is against homosexuality. This really upset me because my opinion was completely ignored and replaced with a fallacy.
Because of this, I now have a better understanding of how people feel when they are stereotyped. People want to be an individual and to be listened to. If we always assume we know a person based on our stereotypes we will never truly understand people who are different from ourselves. This realization is very important when it comes to teaching. I know now that stereotyping students can cause them to loose their voice in the classroom. I will try my best to treat every student the same and get to know my students based on their personal traits not outward appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment